View Single Post

Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

It's generally been my opinion that each person has to figure out what works best for them when it comes to self-defense tools. I would say that as long as you are very proficient not only in shooting performance but also in safe handling, while under stress, then a SA revolver may be a viable choice. I don't know if he still offers it but I remember Clint Smith offering a SA revolver self-defense course at Thunder Ranch. Confidence in your gun, and particularly your skill with that gun, counts for a lot.

It would not be my choice for a self-defense gun, unless it was the only thing at hand when needed. I'm not comfortable with light trigger pulls, especially on a defensive gun. I had a trigger job done on a 1911 several years ago and I specified a weight of 4.5-5lbs. That was as light as I felt comfortable with. When I had a Glock 23 I used the NY-1 and "-" connector which produced a slightly heavier-than-stock pull with resistance from beginning to end. It's one of the reasons all of my revolvers are DAO with full-power factory springs.

I don't think speed reloading is as big a concern as many people think. I practice it with my guns, but it's not a skill that I think will be needed as much as drawing quickly and getting good accurate hits. However, I can see the speed reloading of a SA revolver being more fumble prone than other designs. If you have the skills to use it under stress, it may not be an issue for you.

I also want to be able to get quick, accurate hits with one hand as well as from awkward positions. I don't think I could do that under stress with a SA revolver. Again, if you can, more power to you.

I'm not an expert on SA revolvers, by far, but I have read that some designs are not capable of handling heavy use. That would be a concern for me, but if I were selecting a SA revolver with self-defense in mind I would make sure to pick a robust design that could withstand a lot of realistic practice, such as something suitable for CAS competition.

Then again, I've always wanted to get a SA revolver, but for me it would be a fun gun rather than a self-defense tool.