View Single Post

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 AM

Liked 1,195 Times in 457 Posts

scooter123;
Thanks for the kind words.

I have reloaded since I was age 14 (and that was a LONG time ago). I also started casting my own bullets at that tender age (I had little money and my father was a true "gunny" and encouraged me).

I can also recommend, without reservation, the Lee Classic Turret Press with associated Lee Auto Disc PRO powder measure. It is important to get the Classic Turret. Further, the Pro auto disc. They are both considerably better in several regards.

You can load on the Turret press just like a single stage. However, when you have learned a bit, you can operate it as it was intended and turn out 150-200 rounds per hour. That versatility and actual price value is hard to beat.

You can either choose a digital or a balance scale. Both will work fine IF you get good models. I have both a Lyman and RCBS digital scales. I prefer digital for my uses.

I recommend Titegroup Powder for target loads in most handgun calibers (also works fine for full loads in the .38 Special.45 ACP). In the magnum pistol calibers it is often advantageous to have fast burning powders for target loads (Bullseye or Titegroup as an example), Midrange powders for midrange loads (Unique or Universal) and slow burning powders for full power magnum loads (2400 or H110 as an example).

My 625-8 JM Special has flash chromed hammer and trigger (but has the lock) while my 625-6 has MIM hammer and trigger but no lock. The flash chromed parts are much more attractive but, for me, it's mostly a "I couldn't care less" - my criteria is performance and BOTH of these fine revolvers PRODUCE (adequate power, accuracy, and handling in abundance).

FWIW
Dale53

Last edited by Dale53; 09-07-2011 at 12:17 AM.