View Single Post

Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Liked 483 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
Larry, I just bought this .44 a couple months ago. I still have to wring it out a little more to see what it likes. It will be my new quad rideing gun, I think.

That's a nice Ruger and I'm sure you'll enjoy dialing it in. Everyone I talk to is impressed with their accuracy. Mine isn't fussy about bullets or powder. I use Power Pistol with 200 and 240 grain bullets and H2400 (old stock) with 255 grain HardCasts. You'll most likely find that you need to bottom out the rear sight to get POA and POI to coincide. I did try a taller front sight which was waaaay too tall and filed on it some to regulate it. Here's the front sight height target.

I ended up with the "stock" front sight which shoots 240/255 grain bullets about 2" high @ 25 yards with my loads and a dead-on hold. 200 grainers shoot exactly on @ 25 yards.

Your holster is beautiful. Mine is an old Buchheimer that was for a Ruger 357 that I bought back in '68. I put that leather flap on it as I found that the rear sight on this FlatTop could open up my forearm if it wasn't covered.

My .44 is also my 4-Wheeler companion and rides with me on tractors and horses.