View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,157 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettis1 View Post
Michael,
Remember that Reg. # 10 was sent to Shasha A Siemel, a noted big game hunter from South America. I'd bet a bunch that is the "Sasha" that Wesson was referring to, especially since the comment about killing two "tigres" (the Spanish word for tiger).

Perhaps it was D. B.'s way of sticking the needle in Smith and telling him that "this guy bets his life on these guns and you can't even punch a hole in paper without complaining".

Bob

Sasha Siemel was a Latvian (maybe Estonian; I think Latvia) who emigrated to Brazil. "Tigre" is indeed the Spanish word for tiger, usually misapplied to the jaguar. It is also the Portuguese word, that being the language of Brazil, a former Portuguese possession.

I've read a couple of books by Siemel and one about him by a British admirer. He was a remarkable man.

Besides the .357, he was presented a .44 Magnum when those came out. He additionally carried unidentified types of S&W .44's, probably Second Model Hand Ejectors. His holster in one photo suggests a 6.5-inch barrel.