View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Liked 348 Times in 157 Posts
Default Has this happened to you?

As I was growing up my family was not really gun people so I did not have much to go on. When I decided to get my first handgun in January. I decided I needed and wanted a semi-auto. I ended up with a Glock 17 Gen4 and I was pretty happy.

I enjoy going to the range so I decided I needed a 22lr I went with the Ruger 22/45 MK III I was extremely happy with it. When I was growing up my father had a Ruger Security Six for HD. Being a kid I decided I wanted to be a Ruger guy so getting my first Ruger was a big deal to me.

When my grand father passed away I was given his Smith and Wesson 686 I decided even thought he didn't shoot it much. I was going to enjoy it and when I shot it I think of him.

I loved how smooth and accurate it was. When it came time to get my first CCW I decided I wanted a 5 shot revolver being a "Ruger Guy" I checked out the SP101 and the LCR. I liked the SP101 but at the price it was to expensive for what you where getting.

I decided to shift gears and look at the Smith and Wesson 637. I liked the feel, weight, looks, and price tag. I ended up walking out with a Smith and Wesson 637 and could not be happier.

Then at the local range I decided to shoot the Smith and Wesson 1911 beater they have. Thing is good mechanical shape but is ruff on the outside. I feel in love with that gun also thing was perfect. I decided I needed a 1911 I had to settle for a RIA 1911 Tactical I am very pleased with it. I Think owe Smith and Wesson a thank you for my 1911 addiction I now have.

I am a history buff always have been I like historic things special guns will I decided I wanted a Smith and Wesson 36 because it was the original chief special that police relied. I got lucky the other day and ended up finding a Chief Special I was not sure the date but the shape was great and the price was even better. I rolled the dice and got it turns out it was a 1969-1970 vintage. This was my first "Historic gun" (historic to me).

As you have read this I hope you have seen the pattern. I pretty much said I was a Ruger guy but I think I am a Smith and Wesson guy. There are many many models of Smith and Wesson I wish to own now. I think I owe Smith and Wesson a big thank you for helping me define my gun preferences and my love of revolvers. I always liked revolvers and 1911's and I always said I own them one day. The revolvers and 1911's I have shot have proven to me there my favorite platform hands down.

Anyone else have a similar story? Maybe you started out like I did.