View Single Post

Old 09-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 2,433 Times in 363 Posts
Default Some Info on S&W vs Knock-offs

About the only characteristics most European knock-offs have that resemble S&Ws is that they revolve and have top break loading. There are a mess of them and none I have seen have the S&W internal mechanism. Most have simpler/cheaper cylinder alignment systems in which the hand pushes the cylinder to turn and the top projection of the trigger keeps it from going too far past battery position. Basically the same system as early H&Rs and others, prone to early wear toward loose alignment.

Your piece, from the picture looks like it has a positive lockup in that the lock slots are rectangular. I think Orbea Hermanos (Orbea Bros.) have a reputation a bit higher than most of the other knock-off makers.

All that said, S&W's early DA (1880s), its weird design was successful because of S&Ws very high quality in materials and precision manufacture. It has a double lockup system for cylinder rotation, one for battery and another for carry. Even its trigger-to-hammer full cock has a rocker sear in which pull of the trigger upward pulls the sear engagement down to fire.

As for what market the .44WCF, most likely OH targeted the Americas same as S&W, interchangeability of cartridge with Winchester .44WCF rifle shooters. I have no info on prices in the 1800s but I'm reminded of a flyer I often received as a kid (1930s) from J.L.Galef's in Philadelphia included offering S&W .44 DA topbreak knock-offs at $4.50 retail. Then I bought a .45 Colt SAA, 50%, for $5. New one cost $37.50.

Here is a S&W .44WCF made from about 1881 and sold retail in US till about WW One. S&W had gone to the swing out cylinder loading system before 1910 for its .44s.