View Single Post

Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 AM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

I agree 100% mg357, and have been saying the same for some time. I was just about to make a similar thread, but will just post my suggestion here:

For some time, since I purchased a Model 547, I have been fascinated with the idea of a 9MM revolver. It’s not so amazing when you consider that S&W (and others) have been chambering revolvers for .45 ACP since 1917, and of course the 547 and 940 in 9MM. Many are not even aware that even Ruger chambered the Speed Six in 9MM.

Personally, I prefer 9MM over .38 Spl. Even the +P and +P+ stuff. The reason I prefer it is not just the power/energy gains, but the size to power ratio, and I have included a little comparison photo that I made just as a quick reference that I have used in some other posts. In a speed loader, 9MM has a substantially smaller size for carrying than .38 Spl. It’s even better if you start talking about moon clips. Another of my preferences are the K-Frame S&W series, which is one of the reasons I liked the 547 so much, however, I feel that the J-Frames are practically made for the concept of 9MM in a revolver.

SIzePowerComparison38.jpg

So here’s my proposal. I would like to see a return of 9MM to the S&W revolver world, and since there is clearly a market for .45 ACP revolvers, I just don’t see why there wouldn’t be a market for 9MM, considering popularity, availability and cost of 9MM ammunition. Lastly, in some other posts, I had jokingly referred to a stainless version of a 547 as 647 and was immediately corrected that one existed, so I have created some model names unused and that have some familiarity with past models and some others suggestions for model names, I claim no originality here. I also am split between the idea of the 547 beryllium clip and pin system and the moon clip versions. My current plan is to make my own moon clip version of a stainless 547 by converting a Model 64 cylinder, but that’s just a project, not what I’d really like to be able to purchase as I think the bore of the revolver would have to reflect this caliber/cartridge to be accurate and effective.
So what follows are a “concept” model of a 9MM line of S&W revolvers.

J-Frame:
Model 960 - Stainless, moon-clips and barrel offerings such as 1.5”, 2” and 3”
Model 369 Night Guard – same as 960, but in NG configuration
Model 369 M&P – same as night guard/960 but in M&P.

K-Frame:
Model 947 – Blue, moon clip, fixed sights 3” and 4” barrel lengths
Model 948 – Blue, moon clip, adjustable sight 4” and 6” barrel lengths

Model 964 – Stainless Steel, moon clip, fixed sights 3” and 4” barrel lengths
Model 967 – Stainless Steel, moon clip, adjustable sights 4” and 6” barrel lengths

Model 364 M&P – 964 in M&P configuration
Model 364 Night Guard – 964 in NG configuration

Model 547 Classic – the original 547 in round butt 3” and square butt 4” with original beryllium clip and pin system.
Model 514 Classic - the famous Model 14 but in 9MM and 547 original beryllium clip and pin system.

An honorable mention would be for S&W to make a conversion cylinder (like Ruger’s Blackhawk and Korth) for one of the current models such as (but not limited to) the 64, and stamp the barrels with “.38 SPL +P/9MM PARA” or something as such.

So, how many agree with the 9MM revolver concept (not necessarily mine)? S&W, pleeease, please, please...

Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited by M2MikeGolf; 09-21-2011 at 06:20 AM.