View Single Post

Old 09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 740 Times in 256 Posts
Default Attacked by a "range lizard" today. EEEK!

I was minding my own business today at the public range just trying to get my double action trigger finger working again. It has been 2 months overseas since I shot a gun so I am out of practice.

So, working away at the 15 yrd range with a 1950 K22 Masterpiece and up walks a "range lizard". First I know he is telling me that I should use the joint of my finger and not the pad. Next he tells me I need to use something bigger than just a 22. And then he tells me I should get something more modern if I want to get good.

At this point I put my gun down and tell him that I remember him. 2 years ago he tried to tell me that a Colt Trooper was better than my Registered Magnum and that my sig 210's were not as well built as a Glock. I said at that point I figured you were an idiot but now you have confirmed it. He seemed surprised that I remembered his stupid statement so I added, that I do remember it because it had to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard someone say about shooting.

So next I said, since you are so willing to critique my targets lets look at yours. He was on the 10 yrd range and shooting about a 6" pattern with 12 shots. He only shoots about 6 shots then finds a victim to talk to. I normally shoot 50 shots per target at 15 or 25 yrds and while today was not my best, I was keeping them within 3" and the bulk in a inch. At this point I said, if you talked less, concentrated more and spent more time behind the gun instead of telling others how they could do it, you might actually become a decent shot. At that point I went back and reloaded and kept shooting. He on the other hand just stood there while I racked my 6 and reloaded. After a few moments he moved on and found another victim.

I don't like being rude but the guy goes around and gives some of the crappiest advice I have ever heard and says some just plain stupid things. He has been on our range for years and I just try and avoid him. Normally I have a 357 Maximum or a 357 Magnum that I can cut loose some full power loads and that would drive him away, but today I was easing into shooting again.

So have you all ever been attacked by a "range lizard" and how do you get rid of him?