View Single Post

Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Liked 158 Times in 57 Posts

The OP specifically asked for lights that don't go past the muzzle of the gun. Something like the insight m2 or TLR-3. May I ask why you don't want it to go past the muzzle? Is it for holster considerations, concealment, looks? Just curious.

Most of the top choices, which are also a lot more powerful, are going to extend past the muzzle.

I'm not sure why someone stated that the TLR-1 is not nearly as bright? Not as bright as what?

I have both the TLR-1s and Surefire X300 (both the latest models) and I will admit the streamlight is the better value imo. The x300 is 170 lumens vs. the TLR-1 160 lumen. The difference in power is negligible. They are both plenty bright. I prefer the switch system on the TLR-1. It feels smoother and the rotation of the switch is spring loaded and just feels better to me. The Surefire switch is harder to rotate and the momentary on is activated by pushing on it vs TLR you rotate it. (personal preference)

The mounting if it matters to you. The surefire you have to slide it on. The TLR you can mount it anywhere on a rail without sliding it on, but you do have to turn a spring loaded thumb screw.

Overall, you can't deny the value of the TLR at almost 1/3 the msrp of the surefire. However the surefire is built like a tank. Is it worth the extra cash? hmmmmm. I can't say for certain.