View Single Post

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Liked 8,954 Times in 3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
"Now, while it shares the frame size and many other characteristics with the .38 M&P, I don't think it is technically correct to call it an M&P either."

I can't find it right now, but I have an image taken from an early S&W catalog that shows the Military & Police being available in .38 special AND in .32-20.
And I have seen old ads for the .38-44 Heavy Duty which read "Also available in .44 Special and .45 ACP" as I recall. All it meant that the otherwise same gun was available in those calibers, NOT that they were all .38-44 Heavy Duty models. We all know the .44 Special is a .44 Hand Ejector or .44 Military, and the .45 would be a .45 Army or Model 1917.

If you look far enough you can probably find an ad for a .32 H.E. that said "Also available in .38 S&W" too. It may even go back to the New Model Number 3 Double Action which was available in .44 American (I believe) .44 S&W Russian, .44-40, and .38-40 (at least). Even though they were identical except for caliber and/or chambering, it would not be correct to call a .44 Russian or .38-40 a "Frontier Model", which was specifically the .44-40 chambering. No one the least bit knowledgible of S&W revolvers would argue this point.

If it were correct, and it isn't, to call either a .32-20 or .38 Spl. K-Frame a "Military & Police", it would be the only occurrence in all the named models where two different, common, calibers shared the same model name!** Even the .38 S&W (.38-200) guns were not called M&Ps. They were the K-200 to the factory, not a .38 S&W M&P!

Basing a definition of a named model based on advertising is not well founded.

I have never seen anyone on this forum reference "Smith & Wesson Handguns" by Roy C. McHenry and Walter F. Roper. Both gentlemen were S&W employees during the period when these models were current production. They gathered the information for their book during their employment prior to WWII. Mr. McHenry was, at least un-officially, S&W Historian during this time, much as Roy Jinks has been for years. They make reference in their book to the .32-20 Hand Ejector as the "Winchester Model", not .32-20 M&P! Unfortunately I have not seen Roy take a stand on this issue. And, yes, Walter F. Roper is THAT Walter F. Roper.

I don't know about any of you, but I would take the word of the S&W Company Historian long before that of an advertising copy-writer who is trying to get the most possible information in the least possible space, and takes the liberty of adding "Also available in....." to a model picture that fairly represents several very specific models that are cosmetically identical instead of writing the full blurb with photo for each separate item. An 8 page pamphlet would turn into a 20+ page book in no time at all if that was done.

**There are two exceptions, maybe. These are the .22 Military & Police (Post Office Model) and .32 Military & Police models. Both extremely rare models. I Would ask, however, did S&W refer to these two models as .22 & .32 M&P, or is that just a collectors term for them? I would expect the designation as the "Post Office Model" really answers it for this one! What did the factory refer to the .32 version as in internal documents?

Last edited by Alk8944; 09-29-2011 at 11:04 PM.