View Single Post

Old 10-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les K. View Post
Thanks again for the replies everyone, and I enjoyed reading about the .454 Alaskan and I'd love to try it out, but the local range that I go to does not allow anything above the .44 mag.

I could of course buy a .454 Alaskan but I'd only get to shoot it if I went and found another range that would allow it, or went out to the desert to shoot it (the peoples republic of southern california!). I don't believe it's because they feel it's unsafe for their backstop, but rather because of the muzzle blast from the larger calibers might be disturbing to your fellow nearby shooters. I already almost always get some kind of comment about loudness or muzzle blast even when shooting my current .44 revolver in an automatic world.
I'm not sure how the .454 compares but I've had someone in the next lane over at my indoor range shooting off a S&W .500 and it really was intense Even with ear plugs under my ear muffs I could feel the concussion blast from each shot! My .44 mag was a pea shooter by comparison and I did find it quite challenging to shoot accurately with that going on.

And my favorite range toys btw are my .44 mags, the SRH Alaskan and Desert Eagle. I did have a .480 Alaskan as well but it just didn't seem as fun to shoot as the 44.
The Following User Likes This Post: