View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 PM

Liked 1,818 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
Hi:
I had an experence when i was in high school (1950s) that I had not thought about for years.
One afternoon I dozed off on the living room couch. I was the only one at home.
I partly woke and was unable to move my limbs but was semi-conscious.
I thought I had died. I thought that if I could at least move a finger I wouldn't die. I really tried to move the little finger of my left hand. I was finally able to move the finger, than the hand, than the arm, and finally my legs. Then I became totally conscious and was able to sit up on the couch. It was like my body was totally paralysis but my mind was barely conscious. I never related this occurance as I couldn't explain it.
Jimmy
Hey jimmyj, the keyword in your experience is " semi-conscious". That all has to do with REM sleep my friend - we are basically paralyzed when we are in REM sleep, its a safety mechanism in our brain to keep us from hurting ourselves while we sleep. You came into a semi-conscious state but your brain was lagging behind thus not allowing you to move. Once it caught back up with you, movement was allowed again. I'll bet it was pretty scary though! There's a medical term for it but it slips my mind right now but you're good to go!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: