View Single Post

Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 PM

Liked 761 Times in 280 Posts
Default My 1917a

These S&W models 1917 were wonderful guns from a highly interesting era in world history. I have an excellent example of the counterpoint - a really nice all matching (except mag) 1914 DWM Artillery Luger with a 2 digit serial number without prefix. Accompanied by matching numbered shoulder stock and holster!

Sorry! Back to the point. Here are my Models 1917. A refinished WWI era model, SN 89,2xx with updated grips. This was strictly a ‘pretty face’ purchase at the right price factoring in the non-originality.
Next is a Brazilian contract, SN 168,0xx in fairly decent condition. I went through wooden box of these contained loosely in a pile and I wondered if they had actually been shipped in that fashion. All were nicked up with some not too noticeably and others more so. None were terrible but some bores were also better than others. What you see is my selection. Interestingly, the grips exhibit far more abuse than the metal and were probably a mix n match at some point.
The last is my favorite. All original except again for the much later grips. Just to provide an intro here. I want to share a thread later with the details on this one.
Still, someday I would like just a nice original wartime military 1917.
Thanks for great posts!!!
(Addendum: Please see my thread of 12 October re the last photo - a Post WWII Commercial Model 1917.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 - 1 (Small).jpg (72.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 59 - 2 (Small).jpg (72.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 58 - 2 (Small).jpg (73.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 58 - 3 (Small).jpg (72.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 60 - 3.jpg (143.8 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by iskra; 10-12-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Problems with viewing last photo - hopefully fixed.