View Single Post

Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM

Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts

After a couple of weeks of waiting, but really not all that many weeks, I have my first letter from Mr. Jinks. It arrived while I was at work and I almost made my wife open it and read to me over the phone. Fortunately, more mature heads prevailed (hers, not mine) and I opened it when I got home. The letter is linked below, but here's the quick synopsis:

On the count of model, it is indeed a .44 Hand Ejector 3rd Model.
On the count of shipped to, it was indeed sent to Wolf & Klar of Fort Worth on May 3, 1927.
On the count of original target, it is not. It appears that both the rear sight and butt swivel were added later.

I am still extremely happy to have found such a fascinating revolver, mis-marked as a 1st Model "Triple Lock," and to have gone through a great learning process. Of course, I have a few new questions for the committee.

As the rear sight is properly serialized, is that a legitimate indication that the gun was returned to S&W for that additional work? If not, who/why would it have been done?

How would the addition of "after market" sights and swivels affect the gun's value?

To be fair to my inventory list or a future buyer, what would be the most ethical way to refer to this revolver?