Thread: S&W's in "45"
View Single Post

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Liked 658 Times in 252 Posts

DaveT, S&W did make .45 ACP Mountain Guns in SS and Blue but just try to find one!I have a 1950 Target barrel[slender] and a 1955 Target cylinder and if I don't find a Mountain Gun soon I'm going to try to find a donor frame and build one!Please tell me about yours by PM.
Who built your gun? That is exactly what I want but would prefer SS.
ol'geezer, In the June 1973 issue of Shooting Times Magazine, Skeeter Skelton did an article entitled," The Best .45 Autos are Sixguns" it is the definitive work on reloading .45 ACP & .45 Auto Rim. He divided his info for 1917s,Ruger SAs,and S&Ws Mod. 25.
I won't quote the loadings off the top of my head but I remember loading some rounds that exceeded 1100 FPS and one round over 1300 FPS for the Mod. 25[6&1/2" barrel] with no bad effects.
Maybe you could "google" it or find that article some where. I lost mine in a flood [1990] and only have a few notes.I wouldn't hesitate to take hogs or black bears with some of those loads if needs be.
I will admit,sir, that after 23 years of active duty in the Army and some 12 years in LEO duties I've been involved in too many fracasses and my pistol of choice[ like yours] for serious social intercourse is ALWAYS going to be a 1911A1 or some variant.Thanks for reminding me I'm going to search for a copy of Ol' Skeets article now. Nick