Thread: S&W's in "45"
View Single Post

Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default .45's

First-James 56-that is one fine look'n JM! I might have to get my shint up after seein' yours. As far as the .45ACP is concerned, the military ruined me for it, but I was converted by the marvelous 25-2. I have two of those-one nice shooter, and one NIB, complete, in the safe. I also have, as I said, a 625-8 4 inch. It is not a JM, but that was the platform for the JM. I had S&W do the Master Revolver package on it, and I added a fiber optic sight, a green one, and some over size rnd bt=sqr bt grips in silver black. a wonderful gun. I was so impressed with the 45acp in a revolver, that I wanted to see what it would be like with an 8 3/8 barrel, so I did a project with a 25-5 long barrel. I had the cylinder machined to use 45 ACP's in moon clips, in addition to the 45 colt. I had some other work done on it as well, and it is a nice revolver. I did have to experiment with some ammo to get the big hawg leg to put the ACP's where I wanted consistantly. I ended up with a hard cast SWC of the same diameter as the throats (.451) from Mid Atlantic Bullets. They have a synthetic lube that seems to work a little better. I set them a little shallow, so that the first ring was outside of the case. These factors together allowed the bullet to jump the considerable gap, and enter the forcing cone in good shape, it worked well. 45 ACP's are quieter, and have less recoil in te big gun, and the moon clips make it more fun to shoot, and a source of rubber necking at the range! I likes my 45's. Flapjack.