View Single Post

Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,182 Times in 4,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwill1911 View Post
If you ever come across any documentation for this pearl gripped pistol I'd love to know about it. I've been collecting Patton books, pictures and information for years and have never seen such a thing.
First, General Patton's RM was a blued gun, as all the pictures show.

As to the pearl-handled small pistol that Saxonpig refers to, I vaguely remember reading about someone, perhaps General Joyce, delivering a pistol to General Patton when he was commanding Third Army. I believe it was Joyce, and I think he had replaced the factory stocks with pearl before he presented it. He was aware GSP favored fancy stocks, but could not locate ivory before he wanted to deliver the pistol.

I think GSP subsequently had the pearl stocks changed to the wooden ones with the stars, and that they were made for him by a handyman assigned to his headquarters. I cannot point you to any documentation. There are so many works dealing with GSP, often conflicting in details, that it is hard to be positive about the "pistol stories" - all you can be sure of is what you see in pictures. I recall reading one author who claimed GSP never carried anything but an ordinary M1911 any time he was in the field and not around reporters. Nearly every photo I have ever seen refutes that, and it leads one to wonder why the author would bother to make such a claim. I have only seen a few pictures of GSP with a 1911, in those cases being carried in a shoulder holster. I believe those were taken before he left the U.S. for the invasion of Morocco, possibly during the war games in the south where his troops surrounded and "captured" General Drum.