View Single Post

Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road View Post
Dude....you missed my point completely! In no way was I refering to handling the "power". (Hum....but for some strange reason, you felt it necessary to assume that, probably so you could point out that YOU oh mighty one can handle the power, even if the rest of the wimps of the world cannot!). No....I was refering to dragging around a huge heavy slow to get into action, chunk of steel with a long barrel, all day long.

This isn't hunting, where one is stalking around ready to use your gun at any moment. On the contrary, you will be doing something else....fishing, tending a fire, cooking dinner, chopping wood, or taking a **** in the woods when things go bad. An 8 3/8" barrel, isn't going to be very handy when you are squatting over a cat hole wiping your ***!

That said....as for long guns, my experience was that long guns tended to get left behind. Had I had some of the sweet guns like the Marlin Guide Gun and combat shotguns available at the time (I was young and not so financially well off), I think I might have been more fastidious about carrying a long gun (backed up by a Ruger Alaskan), at least while actively hiking about. For me, that would be handier than a big X-frame, in most circumstances.
Nooooo.....no assumptions were made, I understood your point exactly. Apparently you chose to decipher what you wanted from my reply.

Quote:
QUOTE* Anything except the 4" .500, will be absolutely ludicrous!
That is a ludicrous statement in itself. In the same respect some people can't handle more than a .357 and think the 500 is in excess but we've managed to harness and control its power. Why is it so hard to believe that others can't handle a heavy revolver equally as well? I'm not one to believe in self imposed limitations just because someone else can't handle it.
We've gotten over "The 44 Magnum is the most powerful handgun in the world" so this too shall pass
I'm flattered that you think I'm the almighty one since I can handle the power. Sadly though I'm not alone And since you've mentioned an 8-3/8" barrel keep in mind it's NOT the only barrel length available. I will agree that barrel length would be sightly unwieldy but with practice it could be overcome as well. I would prefer an unscoped 6-1/2" PC model, but that's just me.