View Single Post

Old 10-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

Back in late 1964 and early 1965 I was a guard at universal studios. The adams family set was there then. I worked graveyard. That set was spooky to walk through. Even off stage they had cobwebs that would get on your face etc. One guard was attacked there one night. I never did hear the truth of what happened but figure someone hopped the fence and was spending the night in that set. Probley seen they were about to be discovered and coldcocked him with a iron pipe or something.
I just might hold a world record for working graveyard. I figure I worked about at least 34 1/2 years out of 37 on graveyard 3 or 4 places put together and 35 of it at lockheed aircraft company. That was a huge place and had close to 40,000 employees at times many years ago especialy in burbank and now palmdale california. We had many smaller sites away from the main plants to check. Always they were in out of the way places and usualy no graveyard shifts. We always had to check them various times through the night. A number of times guards were attacked. One night I was alternateing checks with a buddy/guard. I made my rounds that included checking out the employee credit union that was on the street on hollywood way in burbank. I went back and it was his turn. He didnt come back. He had climbed a stair well to offices above the credit union to hit a detex key at the top of the stair well. Later he told me he seen a door cracked open and just thought some employee hadnt locked the door. He reached in through the door hunting for the light switch. Someone was in there and hit his arm with a crowbar or similar. Belive it or not, he thought he got a shock off the light switch and stuck his head in and got brained! Thieves had come down through a roof hatch and dropped into the room! I heard it affected him mentaly.
Another time on a sunday morning a day shift came in to work overtime at plant 10 in palmdale. I was just getting off work and we got a call there was a man in a womens restroom. My relief was to take the call. Since at that time he was a brand new guard I figured I better go with him. We found this very dirty idiot that was incoherant. He was bare foot and his feet were as black as my boots! Stunk to high heaven. At one point he tried to take a swipe at me but was very ineffective. I got the job to ride with him in the ambulance to the hospital. I almost upcucked smelling him! This character had got fired several weeks before, evidently climbed the fence, got back in and been hideing out in the attic areas of the factory probley eating leftovers from workers lunchs out of the trash barrels.
Maybe a month after that I seen his penciled likeness in the local paper for serial rape. Of course I told the SD who they were looking for.
I recall quite a number times lesser events of finding intruders through all those years.
I guess with all those years of graveyard I became part of the night and could be something of a close secound to a boogie man myself. I know I never felt fear at anytime in all those years although I knew people who quit rather than work it.
The Following User Likes This Post: