View Single Post

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts

In the 1960s, on orders for Alaska, I bought a 760 pump carbine (18 inch barrel) in 30-06 as a woods gun. It was superb for that, and I still have it. It mounts a scope easily. It's respectably accurate, not MOA, and stone cold reliable. The carbine kicks pretty hard, particularly with 220s (used them for moose in Alaska), but a recoil pad takes the sting out of it. A 308 would be just about as good, possibly a little more accurate, and maybe easier to find ammo for.

I shoot mainly handloads in mine, and use a small base die. I also have a Ram-Line 10 round carbon fibre magazine, that's got to be at least 15 years old. It works with no problems. Don't know what's the current availability of hi cap mags.

It has a curious characteristic that may take some getting used to: the weight of the parts is designed so that the recoil acts as primary extraction. So that after you shoot, the action is open about half an inch. If you get a round stuck chambering it, you may have a problem getting it un-stuck, but not as bad as on an AR. If you get the round in the chamber and it goes Bang, the empty will eject OK.

The gun works well with cast bullets. I got a 170 gr mould and made a bunch for practice shooting (17 grs of SR 4759). It's cheap and really gets you used to the feel of the rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to take one into a 'serious social purposes' situation. A bunch of 10 round magazines would be nice to have, and 20 round mags, which I don't think they make, would be even better.

I also have a Colt M4 carbine, and an M1a, and I'd probably take the Colt, but the 760 would get serious consideration. I have NO plans to get rid of that rifle.