View Single Post

Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 AM

Liked 5,296 Times in 1,736 Posts

Digital photography is not real photography. Real photography uses film and noxious chemicals to process film and paper in a darkroom. My primary camera is a Mamiya RB-67. I have 4 lenses; 65mm, 90mm, 180mm, and a 150mm soft focus lens, plus a lot of accessories. Some of the 77mm filters I have cost more than a small digital camera.

Back in 1998 I was in San Francisco (I hate San Francisco) taking some pictures. Three street characters saw my camera and figured that it was expensive. They also figured that it was 3 to 1, and it would be easy pickings. Two came behind me and the biggest guy came in front of me demanding my camera. I don't remember exactly what I said. It was either "Please don't make a big mistake" or "Please don't make a bad mistake". I opened my jacket to display my gun. Now I would not shoot anyone to prevent the theft of a camera, but if they laid a finger on me, then I would be in fear of great bodily harm and then all talking is over. When the big guy saw my gun, his eyes opened up so big that I thought his eyeballs were going to pop out of his head. He backed-off fast, and then one of the characters behind me started yelling, "Are you a cop? Are you a cop?" I just kept walking. I guess they picked the wrong victim.

About a month later I saw those three again, or rather their pictures on TV. They had hi-jacked a car and kidnapped the woman, locking her in the trunk of her own car.

This is the main reason that I believe in liberalizing the issuance of concealed weapon permits. It will give street criminals something to consider when they pick out a potential victim.