View Single Post

Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethtodo View Post
First of all, what an amazing and informative thread...I am so pleased to have found it. I have been looking for an airweight Centennial or Bodyguard to carry. I am now a Mod 042 owner. Barring a very faint turn line, it is 100%. Got numbered box, all inserts, wax paper and original rubber Uncle Mikes grips. It had been fired < 20 times according to the seller. I have attached two pictures (excuse the quality). The first is as I got it - original and the 2nd dressed to be my new carry piece. My question is this: How special is my newest S&W revolver - do I keep it & put it away and look for another carry gun OR carry it and enjoy it. Is the 042 one of those "I'll regret it if I carry or sell it"? I tell you it feels like a million bucks and is exactly what I have been looking for to carry - Airweight & hammerless. What to do? Input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks - Randy
Randy, you asked some good questions that I would also like answers to.

I also have a pristine Mod.042 in the box. In 2005 a fellow gunshow table mate who was a custom leather smith had taken this beautiful little gun, still in its box and without the cylinder evidencing ever being turned, in on a custom holster that he had made. He had no use for it and offered it to me for $300 and I sprang.

I had every intention of giving it to my wife to carry in her purse but after looking at it a while, I couldn't visualize it in that environment with keys, make-up, etc. I then thought I would replace my daily carried M442 with it but the unblemished nature of the little M042 put me off of that plan, too.

SCSWIII gives little info on the guns other than they were only produced in 1992. I need to ask Roy about them when he returns. There is some theory that they are rejects from the M642 with an overstamp but I have never been able to see that on mine. The MOD.042 on the frame and the serial number BMB020x on the butt are highlighted in white but that is the only variation that that I have found.

The box label shows the Product Code to be 103792 and the Special Order is 2129. It states the Model is 42.

Whatever their story turns out to be, I have to think that their limited production period, relative to the other Centennial models, should raise their collectibility.

Bob