View Single Post

Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Liked 196 Times in 94 Posts
Default Gun Show Pick up, 625-6. Questions re: Combat Action Job and burr on forcing cone

I picked up a 5" 625-6 Model of 1989 today for what I think was a great price.

The owner claimed it had a "Combat Action Job" but he wasn't real sure what that meant. The revolver has chamfered charge holes and a nice DA trigger (nice, not outstanding). It also has a trigger stop. To the best of my knowledge, a trigger stop is not part of S&W's Combat Action job. Was it at one time? Is there any way to tell if an action job was done at the factory, other than getting it lettered?

S&W's job also includes a bead blast finish, but this M1989 still has very bright laser etchings that I would expect to be fainter after a bead blast. Thoughts?

Last thing is that the forcing cone has a bur on the outside edge, where the cylinder swings up. The inside edge is clean and sharp, so I'm not too worried. For what I paid, this does not concern me, I can spend some time cleaning it up or send it off if needed and still be ahead. Picture below is the best I could get, the burr is visible and easily catches a fingernail. I'm thinking I'll just take it easy and see it it will come off with a bit of sandpaper or polishing compound. It certainly does not appear to hinder functionality.

The action is tight, the BC gap is .006", lock up and timing are terrific.

Last edited by WNC Seabee; 10-22-2011 at 09:39 PM.