View Single Post

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

I agree with Charlie; I'd try superglue...but VERY cautiously! I also agree that the originator was seeking something akin to ivory color.

I continue to believe that all of these grips are from the same maker since they all show the same finish and workmanship. This last pair shows even a slightly different finger groove pattern that confirms the hand finishing.

We have seen several different names here (Bakelite, Catalin, Franzite, Vulcanite, Vinylite, Ivorine,etc.-all were Trademarks) so what we need to remember is that during this time, probably the 1930's-1940's, there were many types of polymers developed.

We need to remember that even Smith and Wesson and Colt had their own synthetic products (Tuscoid and Coltene). In a recent SWCA Journal where his dream pistol is discussed, Doug Wesson is quoted as saying: "I am inclined to further investigate such materials as Plastics", so the search was developing on many fronts.

Each of these products had slightly different characteristics, (color, density, hardness, flexibility, workability, etc.) as their developers were trying to achieve a material directed to a specific or a general purpose. But in general, most had some characteristics in common; they involved the joining of a monomer and a polymer in a chemical polymerization process involving heat and pressure.

Bob