View Single Post

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,719 Times in 849 Posts

ddeanjohnson - very good and informative post.
I've noticed that some of the terminology in the C&R laws and rules is somewhat vague. I've read posts where not even the ATF knows the answers to some of the questions that are brought up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
Wow, I didn't expect such a good discussion on collecting C&R guns.

For you C&R holders: If you are combing pawn shops and gun shows for older guns, do you already know serial number ranges equating to the ship date and buy through your C&R license or do you just buy the gun with the standard 4473 form and the $5 NICS check and add it to your bound book later if it is classified as C&R?

Buying military surplus is easy as I just go in with a signed copy of my C&R and avoid the 4473 form and NICS check, but buying 50+ year old Smith and Wessons may be more difficult, especially models that are model marked.
Some gun shops / pawn shops aren't very up to date on C&R eligible guns. Some won't accept your C&R license and make you fill out a 4473 on guns that are old enough to be C&R eligible, just to cover their butts. I've only had this happen once and really wanted the gun so I went ahead and did the standard paperwork even though the gun qualified.