View Single Post

Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM

Liked 266 Times in 103 Posts
Default How to improve revolver action

I improved the action on my two new revolvers with no smithing whatsoever. Maybe some wont like what I did but I do because it worked so so good.

First. I bought a brand NIB S&W500 6.5" and a few months later a NIB 686-6 4"

Well because they are S&W the action on both was smooth, but not fantastic like my older Model 19. So for a few months I just enjoyed firing both but the action could have been sweeter on each of these new guns.

So, I opened them up (side plates) and both were so dry like a desert in there, cold and dry.........well I pondered what to do for a while then I decided to use a plastic applicator to force Hoppes gun grease in and around everything that moved and then button them up.

Then after hunting a few times an wondering if that grease was attracting dirt particles I opened them both up again.

To my surprise all the grease was gone...worked into the moving parts I guess and it looked real nice. but I wanted to make sure it was clean and lubed so I sprayed each weapon down (inside only) with WD40 and wiped off the excess. Then after it had time to completely dry I sprayed each one down with Remington gun spray oil (with Teflon) Wiped off the excess and then buttoned them up.

Wow, what a change, smooth and sweet like a Smith should be. I mean if I had paid a gunsmith a good chunk of money to tune these revolvers up to make them operate so smoothely, I would have been happy.

It was free and maybe non-standard, but it made a world of difference and I am a happy camper

Last edited by Chrisj357; 10-25-2011 at 07:07 PM.