View Single Post

Old 10-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Liked 2,038 Times in 454 Posts
Default Pain Meds/Pain Tolerance etc.

Being a cop I have an interest in the seemingly ridiculous availability and abuse of prescription drugs.
About a year ago I had tooth pulled after I had broken it. It came out in pieces. I was prescribed 24 lortabs with 2 refills. After the local wore off I took maybe 3. The next day there was no pain. Yesterday I had another busted tooth pulled, bone stuffed in the socket, a piece of something that looked exactly like a foam ear plug packed on top of that and had stitches put in to hold it all in. I'm getting an implant. All that being said along with antibiotics and steroids I'm prescribed another 24 lortabs with 2 refills. I never even had enough pain to warrant tylenol.
My wife just had surgery on both feet with Ti screws put into her bones. After the surgery she took two doses of the pain meds then after that used tylenol. Are we freaks or do some Doctors/dentists seem a little quick to prescribe this stuff? I know there are Medical professionals on this forum figured I could get some good feedback on this. I'm sure there are standards set that dictate what can be prescribed and how many refills.