View Single Post

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 PM

Liked 307 Times in 70 Posts
Default 1950 Target Model (Light Barrel) in 45 Colt**UPDATE Letter

UPDATE....Just received the letter from Roy Jinks. This gun shipped Sept. 8, 1954 to Rex Firearms in New York in the configuration shown.****************

I haven't had a lot of luck lately at gun shows locating good condition older revolvers....at least in the Houston area. My focus has been on 44 Magnums and 27's...so when I found this one, I didn't realize exactly what I had until I got it home and did some research. BTW...this was one of those shows that had more home crafts than guns. You just never know.

This gun was hiding on the back of a dealer's table partially hidden by a Glock. All I knew was that it was a 5 screw N frame in outstanding condition. It was also in a caliber that I had never owned. The barrel looked a bit lighter than what I am used to seeing on big bore revolvers but since the condition was so good, I figured I'd try to bring it home.

So....it's a 1950 Target Model (Light Barrel) in 45 Colt. Turns out that S&W made 2,768 1950 Targets but only 200 of them in 45 Colt; mostly during the 1953-54 time frame I understand. This one, Serial S 97766, shipped in Sept. of 1954.

When I bought it, it had some aftermarket stock so I immediately went on the search for some correct magnas. Our own VM had just what I needed with a fairly close serial stamping. And...even better...they fit like they were made for this gun. (Thanks Mike).

These pics don't do the gun justice, but will have to do until I can figure out how to work that dang light box I built!

I'm still in the clouds just holding this old .45.
Enjoy...
Craig
S&WCA

Last edited by dnonac; 11-30-2011 at 10:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: