View Single Post

Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Liked 1,473 Times in 755 Posts
Question Memory technically jogged

Got off of my sorry butt and did some research on the Hermosa branch of
The Ladder Ranch, part of the Diamond A cattle company. It was owned by Robert Anderson of the ARAMco oil when I was there...Later sold to The Ted Turner.....We did a movie shoot for the Mahan Boot Company at the Hermosa, basically for European Clients. Now looking at the air maps of the ranch I understand why it was so desolate. In 1980 I don't think that information was available......None the less three Buckaroos and their wives lived and worked on the Hermosa Branch....N.Mex, Ghost Towns. Mr Anderson had arraigned for cooks to be on hand and we stayed in the cabins and a restored hotel on the one and only street in Hermosa......A one block dirt street with reconditioned buildings and a piece of old narrow gauge RR tracks. Took baths in old water troughs..Cold,real cold...Larry was filmed riding with the Buckaroo's who were riding the roughest string of cow ponies I had ever seen. However those ponies could darn near climb a tree...I had the time of my life. Great people those Buckaroo's, 500 plus keep a month and one trip per month to Truth or Consequence NM.(and they seemed happy) The top hand on the Hermosa was from Philadelphia and had a teaching certificate, got tired of the rat race and started on the ranch because he ran out of money driving west, he had over the years progressed from driving the feed trucks to top dog in his own little world... any body that reads this old guy memory that might know anything later than my recollection I would love to hear about it. I sure didn't know that Turner had bought the whole Cattle Company...

Sierra County New Mexico.;