View Single Post

Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,930 Times in 9,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15ed View Post
excellent! i will check it immediately. i have always assumed that the "low" screw diamond was the short frame, and the "high" screw was the long frame. i didn't think the short frame was particularly rare, as i have seen the low diamond well into the 40,000 range and even higher.

the small triggerguard/triggerguard screw frame is what i am searching for!!! i guess, at this point, my first question is whether the small triggerguard is ALWAYS accompanied by the short gripframe, or (as i have assumed!) that the short gripframe continued for some time after the small triggerguard (and triggerguard screw) was phased out.

i have tried a couple of threads with absolutely no luck in luring a small triggerguard gun out. i decided that a thread inviting LOW serial numbers might bring one to the surface. i reckon the 24000 range is about as low as i have ever even seen in a pic (except the tiny pic in scosw).

i appreciate the info on 38/49 grips! i just posted the first "high" diamond pic in my pic file. i have always heard that the "short" frame had about one line of checkering below the diamond, and the "long" frame had about 4 lines. investigating this screw location placement was my only reason for posting the other pic, and i apologize for not digging deeper and posting a later "conventional" 36 or 37!

STILL searching for low airweight serial numbers! and any info!!!!
"my first question is whether the small triggerguard is ALWAYS accompanied by the short gripframe,"

In my observation, I have ONLY seen these combos:
1> Short gripframe, Small trigger guard with screw.
2> Long gripframe, Large trigger guard WITHOUT screw.

"i have always heard that the "short" frame had about one line of checkering below the diamond, and the "long" frame had about 4 lines."
I think it went this way-
When they lengthened the grips, they did not immediately change the checkering machine to make a longer pattern. So, we see long grips with the old short pattern for awhile. Later, they checkered the grips with a longer pattern, making it appear that the screw had been moved. Put a short grip together with a long grip, and they line up everywhere, including the screw, except for the bottoms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9009.jpg (46.1 KB, 25 views)