View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Liked 1,610 Times in 884 Posts

Can't really tell without seeing it in hand , but every company let's out a lemon now and then.

Several years ago , I ordered a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .41 Magnum from Davidsons as soon as they were announced. When mine arrived , I gave it a close inspection and was soon livid! The list of gripes was a long one. This thing was a piece of ****. The cylinder had .009 for/aft movement and a .005 diff between cylinder hole and base pin. The muzzle crown was off center and had chatter. I told them it looked like it was done by a drunk with a dull countersink in a hand drill. The rear sight base had about .010" side to side movement in the frame cut. The whole gun had sharpe edges. The action and trigger pull felt and sounded like a box of rocks. Had I picked it up in a gun shop , I would have never bought it. But I special ordered it so it was now mine. The next day I sent a highly detailed and angry letter to Ruger. Even told them I was a toolmaker by trade and hobby gunsmith so I knew what I was talking about. They replied and sent a return shipping box. After having it a few days , they agreed with my assesment , apoligized and sent a replacement revolver , which I must say was only slightly better built.

Swore I'd never buy a new Ruger again.

Then I saw one of the new flattop Blackhawks in.41. This thing was beautifully made. Yep , I bought it!