View Single Post

Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Maybe it's me but I'm just not seeing a problem here. That's not to say I'm correct, however. I'd test fire it, preferably from a Ransom Rest or some other device that immobilizes the gun. If the rounds don't fire in a tight group or if they're consistently off POA, then, obviously, there's a problem.

As an aside, I purchased a used Smith & Wesson Model 64 recently. This is a gun that was made back in the 70's, so it's been in someone's possession for nearly 40 years. It's a very nice gun, in fact, it has the best double action trigger I've ever experienced on a revolver. But, at the range, the gun shot consistently 3" to the left of my POA at ten yards. The groups were tight but always well to the left. I'm a fairly competent shooter, and I've never experienced anything like that. On close examination I discovered that the barrel was rotated at least 10 degrees to right of center. That meant, obviously, that I'd have to pull my front sight well to the left of center in order to center it in the rear sights and that accounted for the gun shooting to the left. I had a local Smith turn the barrel for me and the gun now shoots dead on.

My point is that, if you have a problem with this gun, it's not the first one that Smith sent out of its factory with a defect. I'm still puzzled that mine could have been in circulation for 40 years without someone doing something about it.