View Single Post

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked 446 Times in 240 Posts

Just a followup to my earlier post above about installing Wolff springs:
Quote:
I chose the 12-lb rebound spring, installed it and the 8-lb hammer spring both just two days ago. I don't have a meter, but I would estimate the trigger pull is reduced about 1/3, so that makes it 12-13-lb. Wife dry-fired several times and she said it was much better.
I took my 642 to the range for a quick test. Wolff suggests rapid fire tests at the range first to see if anything jams. There is some discussions that reducing spring weights can cause some hard-primer rounds to misfire, or the gun to not cycle properly. I don't know what a hard primer looks like or who uses them or soft primers. I took what I have to the range.

I shot 10 (2 cylinder loads) each:
Fiocchi 130 gr. FMJ
Remington UMC 130 gr. MC
Federal 158 gr. LRN
Winchester White box 125 gr. +P JHP

This was my first time 'rapid-firing' all 5 shots at once, so while I did aim at the target I was more interested in reliable discharges. I had no issues, the cylinder went around and stopped at the right time, and the trigger reset just fine, so I consider my 642 still a reliable SD carry firearm for now.

Now I have to get Sally to the range to try it out, and I need to get a few more rounds down range, sort of a second, verification test - not that I need an excuse to go to the range...