View Single Post

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon88 View Post
The problem with .22lr is the bullets are outside lubricated. Tumble them, and that lube will get removed. More importantly though, the bullets will have small bits of debris embedded in them, even after tumbling. That's not going to be nice going down your barrel.
700 rounds of .22 will cost about $25 to replace. That's a much easier and safer way to fix this situation.
This is what I was going to stress. It's going to be a punch in the gut to scrap that ammo, but I would rather just scrap it that risk scoring the steel in my barrel with a single grain of sand that you miss. CCI and some others use a really thick wax while some of them use a dry lube. The CCI would be the worst one for sticking crud. The dry lube would be the best chance of cleaning but would remove most or all of the dry lube. The various copper washed bullets usually still have some kind of dry lube on them. I have dropped the one or two .22LR's and brushed them off, but not a few hundred of them.

There are always going to be people who don't feel safe tumbling live ammo and I'm fine with that. I do it every now and then. The primers don't fall out, the bullets don't move at all, and the bullets don't whack into the primers nearly hard enough to set one off. If it were that bad then the bullets would deform the nose, the cases would be dented, and a visual would show all this. And rimfire is even harder to ignite. But again, it would rub the lube off the bullets so I don't bother.
The Following User Likes This Post: