View Single Post

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Liked 109 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
Hey everyone! New to the forums and don't own a 15-22 yet (but I will and it'll be awesome!). I have been doing some research on the lethality of the .22LR.

I have found that even at 300 yards a well placed .22LR will penetrate a 5" beef roast covered in denim. Same with a thawed turkey.

It stands to reason that a .22LR will penetrate zombie skull. After death, zombies are in a constant state of decay. Skin and bone becomes much softer. (Unless radiation has turned them into super zombies) Penetration directly to the brain shouldn't be a problem... unless you have to work on your aim.

I am not against a .223, but they make much more noise. It is widely accepted that zombies can detect movement with their rotting eyes, but it's their hearing that they rely on.

A .223 is much louder than a .22LR, there is no disputing that. The recoil is greater to. So even if the first .22LR shot misses, you can get back on target much quicker. And the weight... 100 rounds of .223 comes in around 3 lbs. a 500 round brick of .22LR is about 4 lbs... Plus .22LR is going to be much easier to find than .223 when scavenging.

During the ZA, I would love to have an armory at my disposal, but too much weight just makes me zombie food. I'm taking (looting) the most common calibers that i can, especially ones that can be used in different weapons. The plan is my 9mm Beretta M-9, a 15-22 and a shotty. Hopefully a Kel-Tec Sub2K will be in there as well since the 9mm mags will be interchangeable (and it folds up nicely).

Of course, the .22LR debate can only really be settled one way... practical application. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Welcome! While a .22 would not be my first choice for any defensive situation it has taken more deer than all other rounds combined.