View Single Post

Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

The interesting thing about this thread is that I remember as a kid (late 70s early 80s) standing around the magazine rack at the Ft. Sam Houston PX reading gun magazines while my mother shopped. The primary topic/headlines in all these magazines was the revolver vs semi auto argument. I remember articles about the death of revolvers as semi autos were gaining in the LE arena. And 30 - 40 years later the same debate rages on.

I cut teeth on a Mod 14 with a six inch barrel my father bought for my mother. He preferred the 1911A1 (he's retired Army) and my mother preferred a revolver (she grew up in Mexico and her father carried a SAA in .45). While Dad didn't like revolvers and much less the.38 Special he let me shoot it (and I fired thousands of rounds) and insisted I practice loading with speedloaders and single rounds over and over without looking at the revolver. He insisted everytime I fired a round with any weapon I utilized good marksmanship and not just "waste ammo". Even though I fired and trained on his 1911s, fired 9mm and 45s in the Military/competition, own several 1911s and am very comfortable carrying and using semi autos, I always tend to gravitate back to revolvers ( in any caliber). They feel right in the hand, point naturally and reloading them is a matter of muscle memory these days. So I think its a matter of training, quality tools, tactics and timing that matter over the platform.
The Following User Likes This Post: