View Single Post

Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,416 Times in 3,292 Posts

If one likes revolvers then one should be enamored with the 27. It is the top of the S&W line and is descended from the "Registered Magnum," the first 357 Magnum produced. It has all the elements we appreciate in inanimate objects; history, aesthetics, and usefulness. The 27 is where form precisely meets function.

As for the popularity of the 3.5" barrel version, this is likely due to its visual appeal. It does look aggressive and businesslike in that barrel length. The longer barrel models are more practical as they balance better and achieve better performance from the Magnum cartridge. But the 3.5" remains the most popular. What we desire most is not always what is most practical.

I bought my first 3.5" 27 in the early 1980s. It was made around 1975 but came to me in unfired condition in the wooden box. It was stolen with all my other guns in 1985. Within 6 months I had replaced it with another.

For nearly 15 years this was my only short 27. I acquired a couple of 5" 27s (to me the most desirable) during this time but felt no great urge to obtain another short one. Then in 1999 I stopped by a tiny gunshop in Carbon County, Utah. In the case were rows of pistol racks holding about 40 Model 19s he had purchased as surplus from the local sheriff's office. All were blue with 4" barrels and all were tagged at $275. In the back row was one gun sticking up higher than the others. Turned out to be a 3.5" 357 from 1957. Showed a lot of holster wear but it had the smoothest trigger pull I have ever felt on any revolver. Price? The same $275 he was asking for the Combat Magnums. I bagged it. Should have bought a couple of the 19s, too...

Now living in Arkansas, I dropped by a local show maybe 4-5 years ago. One dealer had a nickel 3.5" 357 that would later letter from September of 1950. I had brought a Colt auto to sell or trade, and he threw in a set of stags to go with the original numbered Magnas and we swapped. After selling the stags I figure I have about $400 in the gun. Condition is not perfect by a long shot but still a good gun.

On a personal note, when you do find your 27, please don't put fake ivory stocks on it. They always look cheesy and the gun deserves better. So do you.

Last edited by Art Doc; 11-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: