View Single Post

Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt_saa View Post
I totally disagree. OK, you are not going to get the top speeds that you would from a 8 3/8" barrel, but even in a short tube the 357 Magnum out shines most all other cartridges when used in similar firearms. FYI, the 158 grain Hornady Custom XTP-HP leaves a 3 1/2" model 27 at 1220 FPS. The same cartridge generates 1380 FPS from an 8" Colt Python and it takes a 20" 1892 lever gun to achieve 1745 FPS. I can live with that.

You think that there is no "COOL Factor" in the 3 1/2"......much of this Forum will disagree with you on that. The bottom revolver is the 8 shot while the upper revolver is a 6 shot.
Nice guns and data, but I think you are missing some of my point. What I meant was that nothing on the 3.5" stands out too much to explain its desirability, yet it is still undeniable. It doesn't have a particularly short barrel (what I meant by snubby cool, also ensures packability), nor does it have a long barrel (better ballistics and arguably balance), but somehow the gun is more than the sum of its parts. The entire point of the post was to praise the gun, and to explain how cool it has become to me, even though it shines in no particular area. I think a lot of it is looks, mystique, and history as some have mentioned. Plus, Patton called his Registered Magnum of that length his "killing gun", what better endorsement can you have than that? The newer 8 shot sounds intriguing, does it have an internal lock?