View Single Post

Old 11-13-2011, 12:34 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts

oldflatfoot, you done good!

I once gave a kid who was "into" dinosaurs my big box of toy dinosaurs I had as a kid. It was a joy to see his joy.

I had toy guns from the "market", but none of them were as realistic "appearing" as the real thing. But I made do.

My Dad was a carpenter so I would wander into his shop and take what I thought was "scrap" and make wooden guns that were nailed and taped together. None of them were as realistic "appearing" as the real thing. But I made do......until Dad found my stash of 30 woodend guns and got mad....it seems that some of the "scrap" I picked out was finish lumber that "dissappeared" from his shop before he could use it.

THEN....about 1963 I found the ads in the hunting magazines for M1911s, Luger, Walthers, Nambus, M1903s, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Mausers, and Arisakas for what I thought were cheap prices. And all we had to do was be over 18 and order them through the mail directly to the house!!!

I was ecstatic!! I could get ALL of the "necessary" weapons I needed (I couldn't get the machine guns though) to play "Army/Marines" in WWI and WWII!!!!

But I was only TEN at the time. Soooo it was off to Dad and "Can you buy..........?"

His answer "No." In his quiet but firm manner. I also made the mistake of asking this question in front of Mom. She just had to throw in her two cents, butting into what I considered a "private" conversation. She said something like, "You don't need that...you will probalby just shoot yourself."

I learned right then never set yourself up for an "ambush" by both parents. Always "work" the most logical one out of sight of the other.

I later approached Dad in real privacy and pleaded my case ( I should have been a lawyer) and added that we could make them inoperative to live ammo.

"No."

I had to spend an "abused childhood" playing with fake guns and wooden guns while wearing Army/Marine surplus gear....at least I was attired authentic!!