Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Talking Two S&W 1006s in a 4 Gun 10mm Head to Head Shoot-Out! >>

Here are the four contestants:

1) S&W Model 1006 with Fixed Novak Night Sights
2) Glock Model 20SF with Lone Wolf 6" Barrel
2) Grayguns Custom SIG P220 converted to 10mm
4) S&W Model 1006 with Adjustable Sights

The two S&W 1006s and the SIG P220 were shot single-action, and of course the Glock 20SF was not! I fired five shot groups with each pistol alternately, at 15 yards, two-handed, offhand, using Hornady 180 grain XTP ammo. I picked one magazine to use with each gun and loaded only the five shots I was going to take.

1) The S&W 1006 with the Fixed Novak Night Sights has a good double and single action trigger and a very good sight picture. It seems fairly accurate, and can shoot anything, light loads to heavy hunting loads. Its only fault is the single action trigger pull is inconsistent, sometimes lighter sometimes heavier. It's not a huge difference but enough to affect its ultimate accuracy.

2) The Glock 20SF, with the 6 inch Lone Wolf Barrel is very easy to shoot. I find the sights very easy to use, although I cannot say why, and although (as the only double-action only pistol) the trigger pull is heavier than the rest it is very consistent and easy to control. This pistol is the most consistently accurate, in my experience, almost every group was like the one I am showing, where the other guns often had 'flyers' probably due to lack of trigger control. The Glock is also very light and has 15 round magazines!

3) My new Grayguns P220-10mm is also a sweet shooter. The heaviest gun in the group with the best trigger, in either double action or single action, I think it has great accuracy potential. Built on a Match Elite with a 5 inch barrel, the adjustable sights are also one of the best in the group, perhaps just slightly better than the Glock sights, big black and sharp, very easy to see. Very little felt recoil, this is probably the best gun for shooting quickly.

4) My second S&W 1006 has the factory adjustable sights which are a little small, but still quite precise. This poor weapon has something terribly wrong with it's single action trigger pull, which very loose and wiggles from side to side, then hits an obstacle, bumps past that, then is loose again until it begins to bear on the sear. Yikes! But once you get there the break is clean and this pistol is very accurate, noticeably more so than it's fixed sight brother. If I can get the trigger sorted this tank will be a very nice tool!

Well, that's what I did this morning! Well, first I made over-easy fried eggs and served them on creamed spinach, then I replaced the headlights on my truck, but *then* I rolled out to the range and had some fun!

I was unable to get to the 25/50 yard pistol range, they were having a Bowling Pin Shoot and they close the road to the "big" pistol range because they shoot right at that road when they do the Bowling Pin shooting. So no rested shooting at 25 yards and stuff, but that will give me something to do next time!

Thanks for reading!

- Thomas