View Single Post

Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Liked 213 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonback68 View Post
Other posibility is someone has cranked up a ham or citizens band radio in you neighborhood. It happened to me, but now he'e gone.
Amateur radio, unlike citizen's band, is a licensed service. In order to keep our licenses, we are obligated by law not to cause harmful interference outside our licensed band allocations.

The real culprits in most intereference claims are things like faulty powerline insulators, cheap "wall-wart" power supplies, cheap battery chargers and other badly engineered and poorly made elecrical devices. A noted source of harmful, broad-band interference are plasma televisions.

The FCC records are full of cases against power companies forced to repair their outside plant or face massive daily fines, consumers who have been required to mitigate the interference caused by their golf-cart chargers and, yes, CB'ers operating illegally.

Remember also that AM radio, made in China, has the absolute minimum number of parts in it to actually receive AM broadcast signals; no attempt is made to increase the selectivity of the radio or, heaven forbid, increase its sensitivity. Increasing the sensitivity of the radio would only make its interference reception "better". ****** consumer goods like cheap phones, cheap stereos and cheap PC speaker systems are required to "not create harmful interference and must accept all interference". This is the so-called "Part 15" rule.

My station runs clean and the amount of out-of-band energy emitted is far below the legal requirements. I will inform you of techniques you can use to mitigate your problem but I will not buy anything (like filters or RF chokes) for you and I will especially not work on your telephone or stereo. It is up to you to prove that I am operating out-of-band. You can call the police or the sheriff if you like but they have no jurisdiction in the matter. You can call the FCC but they are far too busy auctioning off bandwidth to major corporations for commercial usage to listen to you (or me, for that matter).

Oddly enough, I have multiple commercial routers and ethernet switches in the house (it's what I do professionally) and plenty of CFL bulbs, yet my very sensitive communications receiver does not "hear" them. It can hear a car or truck with faulty ignition or a bad street lamp from several blocks away, however.

Russ