View Single Post

Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Liked 1,371 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Lake View Post
Better to be prepared for the worst than unprepared. Like I said I fully expect my first five rounds to miss....
The first part of the above quote is sound logic and the second half is part of the reason I switched from my Glock 32 to a S&W Model 66 as my primary carry gun, even though the 66 has half the capacity of the G32.

I received a single shot 20 ga. when I was about 13 (1971) and used it for all types of small game until I was 18 or 19, which is when I got a semi-auto 12 ga. After using the 12 exclusively for a few years I switched back & forth between the two, depending on what I was hunting.

A couple of years ago I got to thinking about carrying a revolver for concealed carry and started weighing the pros & cons of this switch and for some reason my hunting experience with the two types of shotguns mentioned above came to me. Not only did I think of it, it was the main reason I switched to a revolver.

My success rate with either the single or semi-auto shotgun was pretty much the same but I found myself expending more shells with the semi than with the single for the same amount of game. When I knew I was limited to only one shot with the single I must have taken that extra half-second before breaking the shot and with the semi I generally scored with my second, and sometimes third round if a shot still presented itself.

Based on that experience I switched over thinking that maybe by having fewer rounds my sub-concious might help me shoot better, a line of logic that may not serve me well, who knows.

When it comes to self defense in a public area my goal isn't only to stop the threat, it's also to ensure the safety of innocent's who may be in that area. These "innocents" might be across a parking lot sitting in a car and I may not even know they are there so I have to act as if they are.

By limiting the number of rounds I have I may keep myself from just pulling up and firing off indiscriminant shots and injuring, or even killing some little kid downrange that I wasn't even aware of, which is something I will do whatever it takes to prevent. To be honest, if I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to hit something with my first shot then I probably wouldn't even pull my gun, especially in a public place. If I didn't have enough confidence that I could hit it in five shots then I might not be carrying a gun to begin with, but that's just me.....

Last edited by ogilvyspecial; 11-18-2011 at 03:45 PM.