View Single Post

Old 11-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Liked 6,258 Times in 2,063 Posts

I shoot cap and ball revolvers (1860 Armies) in SASS matches all of the time and have a blast. Had to learn from the Canadians at the State
SASS Championship here in Montana how to make them reliable. Now that I have that down it is rare for a gun to misbehave.

I have also found that REAL blackpowder for whatever reasons is far more consistent the synthetics.

Can any eagle eyed member explain WHY this is the case?

I changed the nipples from original to ones made by Treso and use Remington #10 caps as they go on and seat fully with ease and also STAY on after firing which was a HUGE improvement for me.
I no longer put any grease over the ball as a sealant, but instead use a wonderwad and then seat a .454 ball that when being seated is shaving off a small ring of lead thus sealing the cylinder....no more grease running all over my pants and holsters!!

On occasion I will use some ClearShot formed pellets that are 30 gr of FFFG. These are SO nice to use! Drop a pellet into the cylinder seat a ball and you are DONE!

I also have quit using a lubricant on the cylinder spindle as the Canadians were showing me that the gear attract way too much crud and soot.

Many times now, I can do a 12 stage match without gunking up and having to clean the spindle not that it is a big deal mind you, just nice.

Maybe some of this will work for you guys as well!

Randy

Last edited by growr; 11-19-2011 at 03:15 PM.