View Single Post

Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 AM

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

Got my first one, an original 1851 Navy, in 1963. Transferred to MSU and there was a little gunshop just off campus. I had just gotten there and was checking the place out. Among other things this old Colt that had seen better days was hanging on a peg, priced at $35.00. I took some of my textbook money, bought it, and kept it in my dorm room till Christmas when I took it home and shot it. Had my first and only chain fire with it. Still have that old relic but like me, it's now retired. Comparable rough originals now sell for about $1200 so it turns out the money was well spent.

Since that time I've had one nice original 1860 Army, about three replica 1860s, a 2nd gen. 1851 Colt, two ROAs, and a Uberti Dragoon, Walker, and 1861 Navy. The 1861 Navy is my favorite for looks and shooting qualities. The original 1860 was a beautiful piece of gunmaking, equal to the best S&Ws; it just that you don't see many in good enough condition to really appreciate it. The ROA is a factory original 5 1/2" stainless with adjustable sights with a letter. As far as I can tell it's one of a kind. There are a few around modified from 7 1/2" but this one was made that way.

I wish Ruger had made a .36 version of the ROA but you can't have everything.

They are fun, but thorough cleaning gets tedious. For that reason I find the tales of Hickok firing and cleaning his pistols every day head to believe. He wouldn't have had time for much else in the course of a day.