View Single Post

Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sgpierce View Post
As I just said in the reloading forum, the only other possible issue is that of the gun. I bought it used and had trouble chambering rounds in one of the charge holes on the cylinder (Push to seat completely), and the appearance of a ring in the barrel just forward of the frame. But, I still think the error is in my reloading practices. I posted this to make two main points. 1>Always follow recommended reloading practices. 2>Smith and Wesson makes fine strong revolvers. The cylinder didn't shatter it just split in two, and the top strap only bowed up it didn't break. It could have been much worse.
These are the OTHER factors that I am speaking to. The need to push the bullet into the chamber is a tell tale sign that there is a carbon ring due to shooting lead 38spl in it. That can raise pressure exponentially. Think of holding the end of a balloon while trying to blow it up. Extra pressure kinda thing. That COULD explain it.

The fact you bought it used and do not know it's history is another part of it. Since you had a mechanical problem to start with, I would lean towards a fault that was caused prior to your ownership as the probably root cause.

As for your point about reloading practices, you are quite right, and taking ownership of your mistakes are rare enough in the day and age we live in and that makes it refreshing to say the least.

Warning well taken and thanks for pointing it out.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: