View Single Post

Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Liked 565 Times in 234 Posts
Default Flogging the 25-2

Howdy,
I came here looking for info on the expectations of a 25-2.
I have had a couple over the years but mostly just to bang away at pins or plates and I never put forth much effort to see what one would do.
I recently picked up another one. I hope to keep this one and not let it get away as I did the others.
It came in as almost unused other than being dropped. The damage was explained by the seller and other than the grips and rear sight blade it is pretty nice.
I picked it up and had ten rounds each, of four different bullets, loaded with 4.5 WW231, WW primers and mixed ACP brass. Factory half moon clips were used.
I headed for the bulls eye range at Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club. I set up at the 25 yard line but I had the wife's car and forgot to load the shooting bags. All groups were fired with fore arms resting on the presentation case.I think I left a little on the table.
Here is the gun.

Throats measured around .457 evenly around the cylinder.

Having read this thread and with the throats running large I was surprised to see it did not like WW 230 jacketed bullets. It shot them into a 4" group with 9 of the ten going into 3 1/16" CTC.

I switched to a 230 grain, hard cast and I wont even post the results. It is too good of bullet. It shoots great in my autos but this gun would not shoot them.
Next up was the Magnus #808. It is a swaged 185 grain bullet.It was loaded to a OAL of 1.232 and all ten went into 1 3/4" This load shows potential and I need to tweak on it and see what might be left.
It is a all X-ring group if centered and will suit me if I don't find anything better. Seems odd that a .452 185 grain bullet worked this well in a gun with large throats. It is a soft almost flat base bullet.

Last was the Delta 185 grain swaged hollow point. I like these and have had good luck with them but they fell behind the #808. They do hold promise and I might mess with powder and OAL and see if they don't come around. Ten shot went in to 3 1/2" With eight of them a little under two inches.I have the ability to let one or two get away from time to time. It could have been me.
That's it for now. I'll try to post what ever I try here in the future. I want to try Magnus #801@185 grain and I want to run some 152-155 grain bullets.
What I learned so far seems to show my gun prefers a softer or possibly a lighter bullet. My bet is on the softer bullet.
I hope this is a help to some one.
Thanks
Mike
Addition Nov 21,11: Magnus bullets think the bullets I used to shoot the 1 3/4" group are #811.
I went to re-order #808 and noticed a different looking bullet in the Magnus ad. The box I used are marked #808 swaged 185 grain .452 dia but in fact look to be #811. Go Figure. Bullet styles can be viewed at magnusbullets.com

Last edited by mstuhr; 11-21-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: error