View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Liked 105 Times in 71 Posts
Default Too Much Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbury View Post
I think the idea that over cleaning a .22 causes more harm than not cleaning comes from people using cleaning rods from the muzzle end. With the small bore of .22s it is easy to cause wear at the muzzle which hurts accuracy. If you use a bore snake, otis flex line or clean from the chamber forward I do not think you can wear a .22 out by cleaning. As others have pointed out rust from moisture attracted to fouling will hurt the bore. I clean all my rifles and pistols after each range trip. JMHO
I agree with tbury, I clean my 15-22 after every range trip. I run a bore snake with a light coating of Rem-oil through the barrel (starting @ the breach end), then I clean the breach face & bolt face with Hope's #9. From there I disassemble the bolt slide, wipe it down, re-oil it (lightly) then reassemble everything & I'm good to go. It's like riding my Harley hard, then putting it away wet, (this would never happen!). Rifles, like Harleys are an investment, if not kept up they will loose their value.