View Single Post

Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,182 Times in 4,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sgpierce View Post
I have a policy of only having a one can of powder on my bench at a time the rest is kept in the wooden chest on the floor.
That's good policy. Ditto with primers. Nowadays when I am reloading only one box (of 100) at a time comes out of their metal cabinet.

Rather than your handloads, I suspect the gun may have been fatally cruded-up if there was difficulty loading the chambers. Sometimes you cannot adequately clean a cylinder with ordinary cleaning tools if it has been really abused. In those cases, you have to resort to a lead-removing reamer to get things back under control - or some other form of more aggressive cleaning like the Lewis lead-removing tool.

The main thing is that you are OK. Remember, the loss of that gun is nothing compared to an injury that could have impaired you for the rest of your life. I'm sure the incident gives you pause about your reloads. I have handloaded all my life and never had a serious incident so I am not sure how I would react, other than to thank The Lord that I still have my hands, fingers, eyes, etc.