View Single Post

Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,161 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGWLLW View Post
1. This Victory does not have an import mark, so can I assume that this is a bringback OR was it just imported prior to 1968?

2. I thought that I read somewhere that most of these lend-lease guns were shipped from the S&W factory to a location(s) on the East Coast, where they were then sent overseas. Would it be worth my time (and money) to get a letter or was the date/destination the same for most of these revolvers?

3. Along the same lines as #2, does anyone have a guess as to a date & shipping destination for my serial (V572455)?

4. When I buy a holster & lanyard for it, I'm assuming that it should definitely be British; not Canadian, Australian, or New Zealand? Does each Commonwealth country have their own markings?

Mike
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the Forum. I'l try to help with your questions. Your many excellent photos and complete serial number allow me to be able to give you my best estimates. (I can't really work with partial numbers or XXXs.)

1. Your revolver bears post-war British commercial proof markings. That immediately tells us that it was not a veteran's "bring-back" item. Many thousands of these guns were imported back to the USA in the 1950s up to 1968 and, thus, do not bear the import markings required from 1968 on. Your gun came back home before 1968.

2. Your revolver was a Lend Lease item. The S&W factory letter on your gun will almost certainly say that it was shipped to the Hartford Ordnance Depot, which was the destination for most of the S&W Lend Lease guns. From the Victory Model Database (which my pal LWCmdr45 and I administer) I can estimate that your revolver likely shipped in the May, 1944 time frame.

Only you can determine if a factory letter is worth your time and money. In my opinion, it would be. I encourage everyone to get letters on their guns. They provide important documentation for collectors at a relatively modest cost. If you do get a letter please post back here with the results.

3. See above info on the ship date and destination.

4. Yes, the best guess would be to go with British Pattern '37 equipment as your revolver does not bear the markings for any other Commonwealth country.

I hope this information is helpful to you.