View Single Post

Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 AM

Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

I think all of the replies making fun of the OP are missing the point.

The point is that if the BG is 21 ft away or less when you first realize what is happening, you will never draw in time so if you are in that situation, you had better have a better idea.

I don't have the link, but there was a video in which a woman who appeared to be very well trained in handling her weapon and a big man with a toy knife did a demo.

Three times he rushed her and stabbed her with the toy knife before she could get the pistol up to a fire position.

Three times she failed even though she knew ahead of time what was coming.

Also Ayoob had a chapter on knives in one of his books. He said that if a guy is holding a knife with the stabbing grip, that is one thing. If he is holding with the blade in his fingers or with the handle in his fingers, he is going to throw it and that a skilled knife thrower can split a penny at 21 ft. Don't hesitate with him, shoot him.

So the posters who post "pull a knife on me and you are dead" are the ones who are fantasizing.

You might stop him and you might not. Probably less than 50 - 50 that you will.

On another thread, there is the story of a cop who got stabbed by a guy he was chasing down, an auto chase, and even knowing that he was chasing a really bad guy, he got stabbed before he could draw. It is pretty hard to ram and end up closer than 21 ft., but the guy got to him.

He never did shoot the guy, his backup shot and killed the BG.

Yes, the real hope we have is that we are careful to be SA and be one jump ahead of bad guys.

But then some of the worst criminals look like they are on the way to church. A BG like that can easily get within 6 ft.

Not all are in saggy pants and dread locks.

As for the woman who got stabbed in the car jacking, she broke rule #1 which is always keep the windows up and always lock the door immediately upon entering the vehicle.

And always be very careful not to enter your vehicle with a stranger close by. Wait to see him enter his or if he is walking by, let him get well past.

By the way, I did not get the impression that he was asking what he should do in those scenarios.

My impression is that he was asking what you guys would do and some of you fell into the trap of "if he pulls a knife on me, BANG BANG".

Maybe and maybe not.

A good knife story.

Bobby Kennedy was determined to put Jimmy Hoffa in prison. I remember one of the trials was in Chattanooga, TN.

Some guy sneaked a pistol into the courtroom and as Hoffa walked close to him, drew it to kill him.

Hoffa charged him and knocked him out cold.

Someone made the comment to him that he was really brave to charge a guy with a pistol.

I don't remember the exact words, as this all happened 50 years ago but basically Hoffa said "You learn on the street to run from a man with a knife, but you run towards a man with a gun. You can.t outrun a bullet."

Not bad advice.

Last edited by old curmudgeon; 11-26-2011 at 01:11 AM.